logo

5 Reasons You Should Convert to LED Lighting In Your New Home

5 Reasons You Should Convert to LED Lighting In Your New Home

One thing you may or may not be thinking about when building a home is what kind of lighting you will have. Lighting is very important as it can affect things like your mood and electric bill. Rather than go with the traditional light bulb, reconsider that choice by first taking these LED lighting benefits into consideration.

Energy Efficient

A traditional light bulb will spend the majority of its energy on producing heat rather than light. Only 20% of the energy it uses it spent to produce light. LED lighting, on the other hand, uses 80% of its energy to produce light. Only 20% of that energy is lost to create heat, compared to a traditional bulb’s 80% lost energy. Because of their efficiency, they will last longer and cost you less on your electric bill.

Long Lasting

An LED light bulb, lit nonstop, can last for 11 years. If it were lit only half a day, it can last up to 22 years. A traditional light bulb will last an average of 1,000 hours vs an LED light bulb’s 100,000 hours.

Low Maintenance

Because LED light bulbs last so long, they require much less maintenance than a traditional light bulb, because you don’t have to replace them every year. Despite their initial higher cost, LED lights end up saving you money when you find yourself not having to replace them a year later. Also, LED lights have gotten cheaper recently, so they aren’t much more than a traditional bulb.

Eco-Friendly

Unlike a traditional bulb filled with mercury, an LED light bulb doesn’t contain any toxic chemicals. They are 100% recyclable. By using an LED light bulb, you end up saving the earth from approximately 20 traditional light bulbs having to be used.

Durable

With LED light bulbs, you don’t have to worry about the car ride home after you buy them. They are durable enough to withstand shock, vibrations, and rough outdoor weather conditions.

A Couple Things to Keep in Mind about LED Lighting:

Watts are Different than Lumens

When you go to buy your first LED light bulb, don’t look at the Wattage. LED lights are measured in Lumens. Here’s a list of what Lumen amount you should be shopping for in relation to the amount of Wattage you are replacing:

  • 40 Watts = 450 Lumens
  • 60 Watts = 800 Lumens
  • 75 Watts =1,100 Lumens
  • 100 Watts =1,600 Lumens
  • 150 Watts = 2,600 Lumens

They Come in Multiple Colors

One aspect of LED lighting people used to dislike was that they looked blue. They have now progressed into multiple colors:

  • Warm White- has normal, yellowish glow of a traditional bulb
  • Cool White- good for workspaces and kitchens
  • Natural White or Daylight- bright, natural light similar to daylight

With these benefits, you’re sure to be pleased with the look and financial gain of LED lighting in your home. If you’re unsure of which kind of LED light bulb you will actually like, find a store that will let you see them lit.

When building a home with Holmes By Design, we can help you determine what types of LED lights will work best for your needs and for each room in your home.